Visiting Relatives_4th of July_And the Coney Island Freak Show


I was home recently in New York for my mother's 80th birthday.  I had a great time.  I always have a great time when I visit home.  My family and friends there are crazy. 
I usually am home for the 4th of July, we have been celebrating my brother's birthday on that day for years although it is not exactly on that day but convenient. We have a big family backyard party. My parents deck out the garage... 

The Googly Eyes at the Met

...and on top of the burgers and dogs, we have Italian mussels, sausage and peppers, spare ribs, grilled chicken,  beef and veggies skewers and all kinds of salads.  And although it can be steaming hot enough to curdle any cream, we like to end it all with a freakin' Venetian hour replete with coffee, cakes, cookies, pastries, ice cream, a carved watermelon and jell-o formed to look like the American flag.
My parents are getting older and I suggested to my brother that we NOT do the party this year and just go to Coney Island  on that day instead of the day after like we usually do.
I said,  "We'll take the kids to see the Freak Show."
My brother answered, "Why?  We'll have all of the freaks we need, right at home, in the garage."
I guffawed.   He was right and he and I are two of the biggest.  Here's to family!



Comments