New Yorker_We'll Always Have Paris_Cartoon


Well, I couldn’t help myself; I decided to submit a cartoon to the Reverse Caption Contest at the New Yorker.  And you guessed it, someone else one won.  Here is my excuse:  I have to admit the caption wasn’t my favorite;  “We’ll always have Paris.”  Of course the reference is to the famous goodbye scene in Casablanca between Humphrey Bogart (Rick) and Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa).  (I almost typed: ... and Ingmar Bergman.  Now that would be a funny cartoon!)  I digress. 

I thought it would be fine humor to have two cakes going to their combined doom by the guillotine (at one time, very popular in Paris) harkening back to Marie Antoinette’s famed phrase: “Let them eat cake.” 


Since doing the cartoon I have been rethinking what “We’ll always have Paris.” really means.  Is it about lovers and that intense feeling experienced in a new romance or a forbidden one as compared to the one, which is old, steady and reliable? (I would love to just hang out with my husband in Paris all day but there are dishes to be done!)  
After Humphrey has to go back to his job and Ingrid goes back to her husband will the lovers really remember the thrill of Paris?  Will it fade and will it change as the people who remember it change?  So maybe Ilsa and Rick really won’t always have Paris.  Maybe one day the best memory of the whole affair would become the delicious vichyssoise they ate at a street side cafĂ©. Memories aren’t the possessions we think they are especially the romantic ones.

Now that I am writing this, I think I may have to rethink this cartoon.  It should be about misremembered memories.  But I still like the little cakes and the guillotine. That’s weird.  Should I be admitting to that?  No worries.  It’ll soon be a memory.  Oh no!  It won’t.  I have just added another misstep to my digital imprint.  ZOINKS!

Extra! Extra!
The cartoon I submitted had no color and no sign.  Here’s what I submitted.

"We'll always have Paris."

Comments