Illustration_September 11

I made this illustration with thumb tacks.  I photographed it and then reworked the piece in Photoshop.


Today, on this September 11, 2013, I find myself thinking of fragility.  On September 11, 2001, I was pregnant with my second child.   My brother called me in New Hampshire from the city and told me to turn on the television.  A plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers.  He could see paper flying everywhere from his office window.  After that, I heard nothing from him.  Where was he?  Where was the rest of my family? Where were my friends?  Was the worst over or still to come?  
I could feel my heart being crushed in my chest.I have never made a picture about that day but while in my studio yesterday, I was looking at the thumb tacks on my drawing board.  This simple office supply reminded me of the people in the offices of the Towers and of those who tried to save them. I am reminded of all the broken hearts and the fragility and power of love.  So my heart is with my home sweet home today, New York City, especially Staten Island, New York.

Comments

Laurie Keller said…
That's really lovely, JoAnn!